The 16+ and Leaving Care Pledge

This is the Pledge for children and young people 16-25 years

Download this pledge as printable PDF.


This Pledge is a set of promises made to you by Brighton and Hove City Council. It is for 16 to 21 year old young people (and up to 25 when in education) who are in or have left care.

Everyone who works for and with the council, that is all staff, councillors and carers have to make sure that you are safe, healthy, get a good education and are well prepared for adult life. This is called Corporate Parenting and is important that all these people make sure you have the best start in life.

This Pledge tells you how we promise to do this. It’s been written with the help of young people from the 16+ Advisory Board, part of our Children in Care Council. The CiCC gives views about being in care to social workers, managers, politicians and carers to help improve being in care for everyone.

We will treat you fairly no matter who you are, where you’ve come from and where you want to go in life. We will challenge discrimination and prejudice and investigate cases where you think this has taken place. We will make sure that any extra support you need related to a disability is provided. We will ensure that the Pledge is accessible to all disabled children and young people.

We want to know what you think and hearing your views whatever they are. If you don’t think you’re getting what you should, talk to your Social Worker, Personal Adviser, their manager, your Independent Reviewing Officer or contact the Youth Advocacy Project or the Standards and Complaints Team.

The Pledge

Who will support you

You will have a Social Worker or Personal Adviser between 16 and 21 and up to 25 when you are in education. They will provide you with a reliable, supportive and trusting relationship.

They will make contact with you at least every 2 months but in most cases this will be more often.

If your Personal Adviser or their manager isn’t available we will make sure there is someone else to talk to. This will usually be from our duty service which is every day.

Preparation for Your Future

Together we will develop your Pathway Plan. This is where we talk about your aims and ambitions and make sure everything is in place to prepare you for a successful adult life.

We will also cover what to do when things don’t go to plan.

At least every 6 months we will update this plan together and this will be reviewed by your Independent Reviewing Officer or later on by your Social Worker or Personal Adviser.

We want to encourage you to take part in talking about your plan to make sure all the support you need is provided.

By the time you are 18 will make sure you have your National Insurance Number, passport, birth certificate and full details of your health history.

Your Health

We can talk to you about healthy living and our Nurse can give you advice about your general health, sexual health and contraception, drugs and alcohol, stopping smoking and emotional well-being. We will make sure you are registered with a doctor, dentist and optician if you need one and also know where to go for any other help.

Where You Live

When you are under 18 we will make sure you are living where you feel safe and comfortable with the support of carers or keyworkers.

We will only use Bed & Breakfast accommodation on those rare times when nowhere else is available and only those inspected and approved by us will be used.

Over 18 we will encourage you to stay with your foster carers until you complete your studies, if you want to and with their agreement.

When you are ready to be independent we will make sure you have somewhere safe, secure and affordable to live.

When you move to your own place we will give you with a Setting Up Allowance to help you buy what you need to set up home.


We will tell you what financial support is available to help you with college, university or any other courses.

We will make an education plan together that includes your wishes and hopes, what is available and what help you will get to make them happen. This plan is called your Personal Opportunities Plan or “POP”. Each term we will sit down together and make sure it is up-to-date and accurate.

We will encourage you with ‘later in life’ learning such as re-sits or late take up of GCSE’s, GNVQ’s and on-line learning.


We will make sure you have the personal and financial support you need to help you with work experience, work placements, apprenticeships and training, volunteering and employment.

We will provide extra support from our Employment and Training Personal Adviser and the Youth Employment Service.

Having a Voice

We will listen to your views and encourage you to say honestly what you think about everything we do and provide, what we could do better and what we do well.

We will encourage you to be involved with interviewing new social work staff and with training for staff, carers and councillors.

We will show you how to complain if you are not happy with us and will investigate all complaints quickly.

When our support comes to an end we will talk with you about your experience of being in care and how you think we can improve.

Brighton & Hove Council has signed up to the “Charter for Care Leavers” which is designed to raise understanding of what care leavers need and what the government and local councils should do to be good Corporate Parents. Read the full CharterRead the full Charter (PDF).

How to get in touch or to complain

1) The first person you should talk to is your Social Worker or Personal Adviser.

2) The 16 Plus Advisory Board

Text: 07775 221386

email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

3) Children in Care Council

Phone: 01273 295444 or 01273 295464

email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

4) Children & Families Team

Lavender Street

Phone: 01273 295400
Text: 07799 885327

email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

5) Youth Advocacy Project

Room 321 Kings House
Grand Avenue

Phone: 01273 295510

6) Standards and Complaints

(no stamp needed)

Freephone - 0500 291229 or Minicom - 01273 291070

e-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it


Like this site?

Like us on Facebook!



Text Size